Alice in Wonderland fans have already been marking the 150th anniversary for the fateful ship journey that saw the genesis for the youngsters’ story. But how come therefore numerous see adult themes when you look at the whole tale, asks Sophie Robehmed.
Alice’s activities in Wonderland is, using one degree at the very least, the storyline of a woman who disappears down a bunny opening up to a place that is fantastic of strange activities.
Charles Dodgson, a mathematician at Christ Church, Oxford, first told their surreal story into the daughters of dean Henry Liddell because they rowed along the Thames.
After the sailing journey, 10-year-old Alice Liddell badgered Dodgson to write it straight down and Alice in Wonderland – underneath the pseudonym Lewis Carroll – was created. The heroine follows a speaking rabbit that is white satisfies the Queen of Hearts and plays croquet using flamingos as mallets.
Considering that the 1960s there’s been a trend for visitors to recognize a drug that is underlying in the guide.
Alice in culture
- Film-maker Tim Burton reprised the storyline this year movie, Alice in Wonderland, featuring Helena Bonham-Carter due to the fact Red Queen (recreated on handbag, pictured)
- Matt Groening’s television show Futurama includes periodic character Mad Hatter Bot – frequently seen with tea-set
- Character Neo in movie The Matrix told to “follow the rabbit that is white – one of a range allusions to Carroll’s stories
- Jefferson Airplane’s 1967 record record album Surrealistic Pillow features White Rabbit – a track about cigarette smoking caterpillars, chess-men and mushrooms
- US pop music artist John Wesley’s photos Alice that is falling and Dumpty in 1963 motivated by Alice stories